The department of History was established in the year 1965. In the beginning, History has been taught at Jr. and Sr. B.A. level as a subsidiary subject. Then due to change in pattern (10+02+03) in the year 1985, History has been introduced at B.A. as a 3 unit level and from the academic year 2000-2001, it has introduced at 6 unit level for B.A. This made our department a full-fledged department. M.A. History facility is available from 2006-2007. Our subject - History - is an optional subject. In our Arts faculty, there are number of optional subjects under optional group (English, Marathi, Hindi, Economics, Geography, Psychology, Sociology and History.) But still in the year 2000-2001 the number of students in history at F.Y.B.A. , S.Y.B.A. and T.Y.B.A. together has reached up to 235. Knowing the importance of this subject from the point of view of competitive examinations such as MPSC, UPSC, Banking and others, our department is making sincere efforts to inculcate interest in the subject history and to create awareness about this subject among the students. With this view in mind and to make this subject more useful, last year (2000-2001) for T.Y.B.A. -3 unit level, we have introduced the Paper No. VI - Musicology, Archeology and Library Science and at 6 unit level, Paper No. IX- General Knowledge. These two papers will help our students to prepare and to face the competitive examinations with much confidence and to develop their career in future. Our past students have developed their career in different walks of life. Some of our students settled well in teaching field - at primary, secondary, Jr. College and Sr. College level; some have entered in business field and some have shown their colors in political fields. Still, our department is making all efforts to make this subject more useful and meaningful from the point of view of building up career of our students in future and making them responsible citizens of this country. Experienced teachers are available in the department Time table; Teaching plan & Questions Bank are prepared by the teachers. The Head of the department takes the follow up of teaching every month and it is expected that every teacher of the department should complete the syllabus as per mentioned in the teaching Plan. The department provides Questions Bank at the beginning of every module of the syllabus. Evalution of teacher of the department is done by the head of the department for the improvement of the teacher is discussed with him personally and proper suggestions are given. Evalution of teaching process is completed with the help of lecture method, Questions - Answers, Historical Charts Seminars, Class Tests etc.
- To Creative awareness about this subjects among the students.
- Our department is making all efforts to make this subjects more useful and meaningfull from the point of view of building up career of our student in future and making them responsible citizens of this country.
- To improve the result of department and develop the skill of writing among the students, department conduct the class test and extra coaching for F.Y./S.Y and T.Y. B.A.
- To encourage student to undertake research in History.
- To encourage the students and awareness about our archaeology,heritage and tourisum.
- Only broad survey of the subject is expected.
- To acquaint the students with the basic understanding of History of Maharashtra,India and Modern world.
- Establishment of Department-1965.
- Commencement of Six Unit - Degree Cource 2000.2001.
- Commencement of P.G. Degree Cource-2006.2007.
- Result Oriented Department.
- Presented Research Papers in the State level & national level.
- Active Participation of Students in Research activities.
- Succesful Organisation of Work shop.
- Seminar & Class test are conducted for the students.
- Tours Activities in every Year.